Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Ped visit and Diaper Rash

Here's Jack smiling while asleep in his car seat which is what he's doing at this very moment and the reason I'm able to take a minute to post. He really does smile when he's awake, I just always hate to waste the moment by running to grab my camera and instead enjoy every coo and grin all to myself. I had him propped in his boppy yesterday and read him a story (thanks for the books Watkins!) and he smiled so much that he practically giggled. Ok - not quite, but I think we've definitely got a reader on our hands judging by his reaction to The Quiet Cricket.

Today we had a weight check with the pediatrician and Jack is now 9 lbs. 1 oz. which is perfect. I keep adding a little more volume here and there to his bottles. I don't want to overwhelm him so I always keep a close watch in case he starts sweating from over exhertion, but he now eats around 2.25 ounces of breastmilk fortified with high calorie formula every 2.5 to 3 hours. I even slip in a straight breastmilk bottle once in a while just as a special treat which he really enjoys. Next week he has his 2 month check up with the pediatrician and a visit to cardiology so hopefully they will both go well. He is just growing and getting cuter by the day, doing normal baby things, which is why I don't have too much to post lately.

Our biggest issue at the moment is that yesterday he got his first diaper rash so his poor little bum is a tad sore. I keep trying to let him air dry a bit when I change him to help let it heal and I keep getting peed on, but maybe he just wants to make sure he wears all his newborn outfits one more time before they don't fit any more.

A big thank you to my dad and Hardy's mom who have come to help me in the evenings the past few days while Hardy had been out of town. My sister also came and helped during the day Monday, and some of my co-workers came over for lunch yesterday so I have been very blessed to have adults to talk with and a chance to get a few things done while someone else held Jack. We have survived surprisingly well while dad has been gone, but we sure are excited to get him back tonight. I'm sure they can't wait to spend a little quality time getting reaquainted during one of his middle of the night feedings. :)


Jill said...

Aimee, so good to talk to you today and can't wait to see you in a few days!

Daisie said...

Glad to hear things are going well! This picture is so so so dang cute! Good for you for enjoying every single minute! They grow up way too fast!!

Gwen said...

He is soooo cute. Is his hair redish? sadly we haven't seen him in person :(

Crystal said...

What a cutie! Add a pound and that is what my adorable daughter weighed when she was born! Hey if you want to air dry, try putting a folded wash cloth over his little um... you know. Don't know how graphic you want it. Anyway, as long as he's laying on something waterproof, the washcloth will help everything else stay semi dry. :)

Quinney Family said...

Hi Amiee, Its Brysons mom. Glad to see things are going so well. Just thought I would tell you our diaper rash secret......Maalox. Sounds crazy I know, but after every cream the hospital had and weeks with a bad diaper rash and sores, I was told to just pour maalox on his bum. WOW I must say I was amazed!!!It works wonders. Give it a try.

Aimee and Hardy said...

Thanks for the great advice Crystal and Jennilyn. I will definitely try both suggestions. Maalox...who'd a thought? And yes Gwen, it's totally got a hint of red to it. We can't wait to see you one of these days.