Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Extubated

I called the nurse around 4:00 this morning and she said that Jack woke up around 1AM and was done being on the ventialtor. Dr Kaza had called last night and told them to get him off the vent soon, but the Resident wasn't planning to do it until morning. Well, Jack agreed with Dr. Kaza and started pulling on it so they extubated him shortly after he woke up. The nurse gave him some morphine and a binky and he's been resting peacefully ever since.

As soon as he wakes up we are going to try giving him some pedialite, and if he keeps that down then we'll give him a bottle. I bet that will make him a happy camper.

They are also planning to start pulling lines early this afternoon. First his jugular line, then the RA, and finally 2 of the 3 drains. Once those are out we can hold him! Oh I can't wait for a good snuggle with my baby boy. With the lines out, we could even concievably be sent to the 3rd floor. Most likely we'll make the move tomorrow, but tonight is a possibility. It's crazy how much faster things are moving this time.

P.S. His one eye looks a little red, but when I asked the nurse she said he had been rubbing his eyes really hard, so it's self-inflicted.

12 comments:

The Simmons Family said...

Way to go Jack... sometimes you have to take control if you want to get the tube out!

I hope you get to hold your baby boy soon!! I think that is the worst part of it all.

Brammer Family said...

He looks much better with a binki! :) I'm so glad he's doing to good!

mom said...

I like a boy who knows what he wants, and I think it's great that he and Dr. Kaza had the same idea. I'm blowing kisses at that sweet little face.

carolyn q said...

Great to know he is doing so well and I hope and pray for his recovery to continue in the same direction. I hope you get to hold him very soon :0)
It was great to see you guys yesterday and to meet both of your parents too.
Just wanted you to know I was checking in to see how things are going.
((HUGS))

Julie Miles said...

I'm so glad recovery's going so smooth for Jack! Thursday makes the 1 year anniversary from Ethan's Glenn. He was discharged 4 days later and I'm praying that Jack has a similar experience. Hoping you get to hold him again soon and get some good cuddle time together!

The Hood's said...

Such great news! Way to go Jack!

Mama Mimi said...

Glad to hear that Jack is doing well after his second sugery. He is so cute and getting so big. I will be watching for more updates!

Rees Family said...

I am so glad that the surgery went so good and that things are going so well. I was thinking about you guys all day yesterday. What a little miracle Jack is. Its amazing how things just work out with the lords help.
Ang

Amy said...

What a little trooper! I can't imagine having to go through this as a parent. My heart aches for you both! You've got a brave little fighter!!!

The Whitaker Family said...

YAY, YAY, YAY!!! I'm so glad to hear it! Can't wait to see pictures of you holding him...

Jill said...

Good job Jack! What a fighter you are!

One Happy Heart Family said...

WAY to GO JACK! It is crazy how fast they go. I am glad you got to hold him today, I didn't want to hold Kylie until the BIG chest tube was out. Ya trust me they are so so so much grumpier! Kylie is so very MAD! She actually slept through the night. YEA Oh and the rubbing eyes. I think it's the morphine, Kylie did the same thing. They finally gave her benadryl to help I am so glad he is doing so well. Dr Kaza seems to be a great surgeon. You will be home before you know it.