Saturday, August 16, 2008

Full, Happy Arms

This morning around 10:00 a.m. Dr. Kouretas removed Jack's RA line and final drain out of his tummy. The result - we got to hold him all day long! We even let his grandma and grandpa take a turn when they came to visit. We had a few episodes when he got himself so upset that he forgot to breathe and he turns dark purple from lack of oxygen, but we are learning not to freak out about that and figuring out better how to calm him down. Hopefully we'll be pros by the time we leave the hospital.

Tomorrow we plan on more good snuggles as we have 10 days worth to make up for. Jack's feeds are up to 13 cc's per hour with 16 being considered full feeds so he should reach that by tomorrow afternoon. Then we just have to pass the swallow test Monday and we'll hopefully be moved to the 3rd (recovery) floor. That both terrifies and thrills me to pieces.

6 comments:

Jill said...

Oh my goodness, you had to have been absolutely thrilled to hold him and snuggle him and love him to pieces! I can't say enough how impressed I am with you guys. What a trial you are having, but with that trial you are able to see miracles happen. What a strong boy you have. My heart is so touched by him! Thank you for sharing everything he is going through. I truly love reading each day how well he is doing!

Daisie said...

Yea! I am so glad to know you spent today with him in your arms! That must have been amazing! Good luck with the swallow test! Can't wait to hear how it goes!! Love ya!

mom said...

Give him a kiss from me! I'm so glad you get to hold him to your heart's content finally. I'm so grateful for the updates.

Erin said...

I am so glad to know you spent your day holding him. What a perfect way to spend the day. Good luck with the swallow test, you've got lots of prayers coming from Idaho.

The Whitaker Family said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brammer Family said...

How wonderful!

Give him a squeeze for us! :)