Friday, August 22, 2008

Pacer Wires and NG Tube Placement

This morning Dr. Kaza and Dr. Hawkins came by to look at Jack. They said we are still on to go home tomorrow so the nurses are diligently working to help make sure I'm thoroghly trained. Last night I learned how to "gavauge" into Jack's feeding tube in case Home Health doesn't send us home with a machine. We also have his milk recipe all figured out and I am now learning how to properly mix it and where to get more supplies.

They pulled out the pacer wires on his chest this morning. Yay! He didn't care too much for that so while he was already upset and highly sedated on sweeties I decided I better learn how to put in his NG tube as I had to pass that off before we an go home. I almost cried at the thought of having to do it, and Jack cried during it, but we made it. The tube has to be measured so it will reach his stomach then "gently" shoved down his nose. We tried to put it in his right nostril, but it just would't go down and it made him totally scream. On the third try I aimed for the left nostril and it went right down. I think I can do it again if it's a repeat of the left nostril experience, though I think I need to get some of the Heart mom's who live near by (that's you Bryttin and Brynn) on speed dial so they can talk me through it if I have to do it and freak out.

As we prepare to leave the hospital tomorrow I am very much looking forward to it, but also a little nervous and a tiny bit sad to leave all our sweet friends up here. Patty and her sweet Little Laurie, Bryttin and Teagan, Hilary and Daxton, Hollie and Eliana - you're all amazing.

2 comments:

The Chiltons said...

Aimee, Andrea is a professional at NG tube placement! We (Andrea) had to do it for several months. It never got easy for me, it seemed like I always had to leave the room in order to hold it together, while Andrea placed it. Seriously call her, she would be honored to share some tricks of the trade with you.

mom said...

Aimee, you constantly amaze me. Jack is a lucky boy to have you for a Mommy. He's got a great Daddy, too. I can't wait to see pictures of Jack at home!