Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Milestones and a Bonus

Earlier today my mom came out for a visit and she and I sat with Jack for a while. The medicine he is on to keep his heart working tends to make him ache and get the chills (kind of like having the flu). I learned how to properly sooth him by placing a firm, gentle hand on his head rather than stroking so I was able to help comfort him. Then he gave out a tiny and sad but wonderful little cry. It was the first time I had heard him cry since he first popped out and it was so wonderful I cried myself. He also woke up a few times so we got to see him with his eyes open.

And you would never believe which one of us changed the first diaper! That’s right – Mr. “I am physically unable to change a diaper” Hardy! It was only wet, but he did it. And Jack even peed on him.

Then tonight for a special bonus, I got to help give Jack a bath! It was just a little sponge bath rub down, and really the nurse did most of it, but it was so nice to feel like I’m actually doing something to help care for my child. Jack cried and squirmed, but Hardy held in his pacifier which he can’t get enough of and he did great. It has been an awesome day with Jack.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Way to go Hardy!! Diapers (on your own kids at least) really aren't that bad. Good job Jack, breaking dad in on changing little boys. It's the badge of a true parent who proudly wears a spot of pee!!